3.21.2011

Arduino: Final (Art 350: Advanced Digital Media)

After weeks of working toward this project, it is finally done.

Artist's Statement: I created an Arduino-based interactive piece where users can choose a few key words to describe their life. The selections play a sound to fit with the "story" the user writes. The piece is meant to ask people to think how they would sum up their "story" if only given a few word choices to do so. The sound adds an extra element to illustrate that story in a way people might not tend to associate experiences with.

To display with piece: "Everybody has a story. What's yours? If you could only describe your life experiences in a couple short sentences, capitalizing on a few key words ... what would you choose to say? Use this interactive piece to consider your story. Think about what that might sound like, and listen back to your story through tonal sounds in this fun project."

Here's a video:


A few extra notes:
Along the way, I encountered several problems but was able to work through each to accomplish this task. I improved my critical thinking skills, computer programming language, electronic wiring knowledge and plenty more.

Here's a few photos of the finished work:



And here's a couple shots of the wiring from the back. There's about 18 wires connecting buttons and speakers to the Arduino. All are neatly labeled and secured in place. The breadboards with buttons required additional wires and resistors to connect.



Hope you enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. I really like how your final arduino project was in its own box and was easily contained. It made it look really pulled together and finalized. I know you said the wires were coming unconnected on the day it was due, but I think it worked really well and the sounds got across the ideas associated with each word you chose. For what I'm pretty sure was your first time working with arduinos, you did a great job, and the bubble paper was really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this project. I like how you designed the box and all the noises you chose to use, it was a very creative way to use the arduino! I also liked how you made a story out of it, that was a very nice touch that made your entire project come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your final presentation of this project was very clean and neat. The box, buttons, paper, words with Velcro, all of it was very well thought out and put together well. Having worked with the Arduino myself, I know how difficult it can be to get everything working correctly, but you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A well accomplished job at creating something never seen before, at least from my eyes, from an arduino board. The colors were very psychedelic and the sound effects were reminiscent of the old 8-bit Atari video game systems. Nicely done. Also, sorry for ripping a word off, I didn't realize how fragile it was.

    --VMS

    ReplyDelete