3.26.2011

Makerbot: 1 (Art 350: Advanced Digital Media)

I decided to print a 3D baby grand piano. I think it will be interesting to make a silent sculpture of an instrument. Since sound won't be part of the piece, it will force the viewer to instead focus on the structure of the piano, which I think sometimes gets overlooked. I think, visually, a piano is one of the most beautiful instruments (I am pretty biased though).

I plan to replicate the piano I learned to play on — a Kohler & Cambpbell baby grand. I've always loved playing on my piano, and have never been able to find another I've liked better.

I will probably have to make the piano in pieces, in order to get more detail on each of the elements. I plan on making the overall object about the size of one's hand or a bit smaller than that. I am most familiar with Google Sketch Up, so I am going to design my piece using that program. Then, I will upload it into Blender to scale it down and add finishing touches there.

Here's a few shots of my piano:


No comments:

Post a Comment